Saturday, June 29, 2013

Yesterday I took a day trip to Elk River, MN.  I read about a quilt shop there in a quilt magazine, and I figured that as long as I was in the area I might as well try to take it in.  I left late morning and drove about 35-40 miles to Elk River.  

In doing a little more research, I found out that there was another quilt shop in town called Cottage Quilts and Fabrics.  It didn't look like much from the outside, and it was a little difficult to get to because of some road construction. That's a shame because I thought they had a very nice selection of fabrics and lots of completed quilts and wallhangings that were really lovely.  I bought a couple fat quarters and a couple patterns there and got a chance to chat with the owner - nice guy.  

Next stop was lunch, then on to The Noble Quilter - the shop I read about in the magazine.  It was also lovely - bought some more fabric - of course - also a book and a couple patterns.  

No trip to a new town is complete without a visit to the local library - so I added the Elk River Library to my library collection!

Before I left town, I wanted to visit their downtown and go to a restaurant that apparently served hamburgers and malts.  I figured that if they had malts they must have ice cream - my actual goal.  Before ice cream, I decided to take a little walk - and found The Great Room, a couple lovely murals, a fountain, and a view of the Mississippi.  The Great Room is a flea market/antique-type store that supports a group called Faith In Action.  I chatted with the lovely volunteers there and helped support their worthy cause by purchasing 2 book shelves (small and miniature sized), a hanging plate rack, a picture, a tray and a shutter.  

I got lost on the way back to Richfield - the details are boring so I won't go into it any further.  Except to thank Derek and Shawna for their cell phone support! :-)


Elk River Library
Sculpture inside the library
Children's area at Elk River Library
View from sitting area in library
One of the murals in downtown Elk River
Mural and fountain in Elk River
View of the Mississippi River from the fountain
This is what I bought at The Great Room

No comments:

Post a Comment