Friday, July 13, 2012



Staycation - the rest of the days.  I kind of fell behind, and now I'm on a different vacation - so I will try to cover everything just a little bit.  Last Thursday for our Staycation we walked at Walnut Grove Park.  That was a pretty shady walk which was important last week (100+ degrees)!  Friday we had supper at Taxi's (half-price bottles of wine) - I had the penne pasta with vodka cream sauce.  YUM!  Must figure out a way to duplicate that!  We went to the Old Market to walk around a bit - and that was pretty much the end of the Staycation.  


As I mentioned earlier, I am now on another vacation with three dear friends.  Sue is from Chadron so we drove out yesterday - we'll stay here for a couple days - then we're going up to the Black Hills and we'll stay there for a couple days.  On our way out yesterday, we stopped in Gordon to visit Sue's Uncle Mike and Aunt Loretta.  What a delightful couple!  They served the best baklava that I've ever had - made by their daughter Judy.  It was a fun time.


Today we started out at Toadstool Geologic Park.  There are all kinds of strange geologic formations - not to mention the surrealistic landscape.  It truly feels like you're on a different planet. 


 

 

Here is more of our walk into the rock formations.  Margaret, Mary, and Sue are walking ahead.  If you see someone carrying a stick, it is because we needed something to scare the rattlesnakes!


 

 

 

 

 

There's also a sod house at Toadstool.  Many of the plants on the roof are cacti.





































We also stopped at the Hudson Meng Bison Boneyard.  We met a lovely young lady named Mariah Cook who is a godchild of a friend of mine and who also happens to be Miss Nebraska!  We had a nice visit with her and she told us a lot of interesting things about the bones that have been discovered at that site.




The next stop was High Plains Homestead for lunch at the Cook Shack.  Best quesadilla ever!  Also - Best chocolate pie ever!  


 

 

There's more but I'm fading fast - I will have to finish tomorrow. . .




No comments:

Post a Comment