I read a book earlier this year called "The Vegetable Gardener's Container Bible" by Edward Smith. In it were instructions for making a self-watering container with a plastic storage container. My husband made 2 of those containers for me and I planted a tomato and some lettuce in one and a tomato and a cucumber plant in the other one. The lettuce didn't work out so I pulled it out. The tomatoes are growing like gangbusters - so much so that one of them covered up the cucumber and I didn't think that would make it either - but Gary devised a brilliant trellis (with a little help from me) and I think that the cucumber may have a fighting chance. See below -
Let's see - what else am I doing on my summer vacation? Well, I painted our bedroom and bathroom. Same color (blue) but lighter and a little grayer. The pseudo-curtain is just temporary.
I've also been sewing some things for my quilting group -
I've been reading too - Eating Animals by Jonathon Saffron Foer; Black Cherry Blues and Heaven's Prisoners by James Lee Burke; Murder in Havana and Murder on the Potomac by Margaret Truman. I think that's it. Actually, I'm done with only 2 out of the 5, but I will get the rest wrapped up here pretty soon.
We're heading for Colorado next Saturday - hope the fires don't get us.





No comments:
Post a Comment